My credentials work on a Mac as well which implys it is a Tortoise GIT problem.
When I heard back from GIT, they said it could be a network problem and to be sure we have the latest versions of GIT and Tortoise GIT.
They also said this:
"You could also try switching from HTTPS to SSH:
I know it is not a problem with our network because other users in our office are able to connect to pull from our directory with no problem. We uninstalled and reinstalled GIT and Tortoise GIT to no avail. We will try switching from HTTPS to SSH and see if that helps. I will leave an update after that is done.
My IT guy was finally able to fix this for me. He deleted my github.com account and disassociated it with the company and then created a new account with a new user name and email address. I reconnected to the company with the new account. Next he updated my credentials within Windows and moved my directory to a different folder. Then he cloned all of my repos. I can now pull and commit without a problem. I am sorry if this is a simplistic answer, but I don't know all of the details. I hope this helps!
Thanks for your patience. It's clear that this is part of a bigger pattern which may have to do with a recent change in a Windows update. We're discussing this problem internally and it would help us quite a bit if we could collaborate with you all to troubleshoot the issue further.
Since we need to do some deeper individual troubleshooting, would you mind submitting a help request in our help portal so that we can follow up with you and get some additional inforomation? You can point at this thread for background information and it would be helpful to know what version of Windows you're using, what git client or clients you've encountered this problem with, and whether you're operating on a personal network or a company network.
Suddenly, it works again! Thank you to whomever made this happen!
I just sent GitHub Support this message, alas:
When I try to push to my repository with SmartGit on Windows 10 I get this error message, which sounds very similar to the problem I had a week ago:
D:\0C\workspace\glowscript> git.exe push --porcelain --progress --recurse-submodules=check origin refs/heads/fix_displaying_PRIVATE:refs/heads/fix_displaying_PRIVATE
unable to access 'https://github.com/BruceSherwood/glowscript/': SSL certificate problem: self signed certificate in certificate chain
I also tried cloning with GitHub Desktop and I get this:
Cloning into 'D:\0C\workspace\glowscript2'...
fatal: unable to access 'https://github.com/BruceSherwood/glowscript.git/': SSL certificate problem: self signed certificate in certificate chain
And suddenly my git pull is working again from home also. It's not clear why it failed or why it's working now.
I'll try to summarize what I know:
Not sure what this all adds up to.
I'm so glad that it got resolved. If you have problems of this nature again, please feel free to contact GitHub Support directly, especially if these problems are impacting your ability to work. We try to provide the best support that we can through the Community Forum but using the contact form is the best way to get support for critical issues.
I also had same problem but installing Github again after securing my computer with different viruses it started working. It took some time but now its working.
I was able to pull again last week after my IT deleted and recreated a new GIT account, then cloned all of my files and moved them to a different directory. This worked well for a few days last week. However, when I came in this morning after the long weekend.... it is back to saying:
"SSL certificate problem: self signed certificate in certificate chain"
git did not exit cleanly (exit code 1) (578 ms @ 5/29/2018 10:12:11 AM)
No one accessed my account or my computers over the weekend. I am getting so frustrated, I am not able to do any work and the IT does not know where to go from here. I cannot keep creating new accounts every week.