So installation_repositories event is fired on repo getting added/removed in a GitHub App installation (as documented on https://developer.github.com/v3/activity/events/types/#installationrepositoriesevent).
However I noticed that, when the GitHub app is installed on an organization, this event is only triggered when such action is performed by org administrator rather than org member (but a repo admin).
Here's the step-by-step repro
1) Create a GitHub app (I created https://github.com/apps/installationrepositorieseventtest) that asks for Repository Metadata: Read Only & Repository Content: Read & Write (Permission does not matter here though but list for completeness).
2) Install this app by an org member (but a repo admin) onto an organization, and select 1 repo s/he has admin access to
3) Check the app 'Advanced' page and we can see 'installation' event fine (although it's installed by non org-admin)
4) Go to the app install again (For me, that is https://github.com/apps/installationrepositorieseventtest) and select an additional repo and click 'Update access' (See screenshot at bottom)
5) Expected to see 'Installation_Repositories' event but it's never fired (If you do step #4 as org administrator you will)
Screenshot for step #4
Very sorry for the trouble! We've got an issue open internally for our engineers to take a look at this, and we will update you again as soon as we have more information to share.
Thanks for your patience!
Mark helpful posts with Accept as Solution to help other users locate important info. Don't forget to give Kudos for great content!