YAML syntax error on json data file

Hi everyone,

I keep getting an error when building my github pages.

the error is due to a json file in the _data directory.
it works perfectly fine in a local jekyll build but here I get a Yaml syntax error…

Do github pages only accept yaml data files or is there something else?

here is the json file

and an extract of the first record here :

[
    {
        "Fields":1,
        "Id2":"NUS_SUM_00001",
        "Identifier":"IDENK_ART_00001",
        "Origin of the metadata":"Daniel Perret",
        "Contributor to the description":"Arlo Griffiths|Adeline Levivier",
        "Date of the contribution":"2019\/05-2019\/09",
        "Entity responsible for making the resource available":"Pusat Penelitian Arkeologi Nasional & École Française d’Extrême-Orient",
        "Subproject":"IDENK",
        "Metadata rights":"CC-BY-SA 4.0 International",
        "Identifier.1":"IDENK_ART_00001",
        "Designation":null,
        "Alternative_designation":null,
        " Inventorynumber":null,
        "Type_of_material":"Metal",
        "Subtype_of_material":"Tin",
        "Type_of_artefact":"Foil",
        "Subtype_of_artefact":null,
        "height":"9.3",
        "width":"1.6",
        "depth":null,
        "Diameter":null,
        "circumference":null,
        "Condition":null,
        "Lines":"A:4 ; B:2",
        "Comments_on_artefact":"Originally rolled up and used as amulet.",
        "Iconography and decoration":null,
        "Country":"Indonesia",
        "Province":null,
        "District":null,
        "Subdistrict":null,
        "Village":null,
        "Hamlet":null,
        "Latitude":null,
        "Longitude":null,
        "latitude_dec":0.0,
        "longitude_dec":0.0,
        "Site":null,
        "Circumstances_of_discovery":"Sold by an antique dealer in Bukittinggi in 2008, in a rolled up condition.",
        "History of preservation":"(2012) collection T. McLaughlin, Kuching, Sarawak, Malaysia.",
        "Preservation place":"priv. col. T. McLaughlin, Kuching, Sarawak, Malaysia",
        "Rights_holder":null,
        "Institution_responsible_for_the_distribution":null,
        "Distribution_rights":"All rights reserved",
        "Identifier_of_the_text":"IDENK_INSC_00001",
        "Surrogates":null,
        "Identifier_of_the_digital_image":null
    }, 

Thank you for your help,

Same here from my side. i get tired for this today

I finally got what was wrong in my case.

In fact the character “/” was escaped by a single backslash ‘\’.
On other forums I some people advise to double unescape like this ‘\\/’ in order for it to work in a Yaml syntax.

Actually it didn’t work for me. But the work around I found was to replace ‘\/’ with another character like “-”. It proves at least that the problem layed there in this specific charcaters combination.

Depending of your data and what you intend to to with it, this character switch could be quite trivial since you could use Liquid syntax in order to modify it again when you choose to display it.

Maybe other members with a better theoretic background here can help us understand the best option with have here.

Hope you’ll get through it as well.

Good luck