I’m getting an error on a pull request: An error occurred while performing auto-merge
Here’s the situation:
- I have a github app (called microCOVID) that serves as a bot this whole workflow (including commits)
- I have a workflow that runs this bash script whic updates some files and commits them, and submits a PR
- I updated the branch protection rules to include the microCOVID bot/app:
- Everything is working up to the auto-merge part. The worfklow edits the files, the bot commits the changes, the bot submits the pull request, it is set to auto-merge. Then I get the error. Example of a “stuck” PR here. Screenshot below.
- I am intentionally generating an INSTALLATION_ACCESS_TOKEN instead of using GITHUB_TOKEN so that the checks on the PR will actually run.
- I have given the app/bot pretty extensive permissions anywhere where it might seem relevant. I haven’t tried giving it ALL permissions yet. I kind of doubt it has to do with permissions, because I think the PR and auto-merge commands just wouldn’t be allowed if it was a permissions issue.
- I had this whole thing working properly when I used a PERSONAL_ACCESS_TOKEN instead of an INSTALLATION_ACCESS_TOKEN. The auto-merge worked then.
- The workflow cron job ran this morning and I got a similar, but different error. It says “Attempting to auto-merge…” and has been hung there for 2 hours.
I couldn’t find any results for this error message on google, which was surprising. Any ideas about how to proceed?