I am trying to build a Composite action. In that I am trying to use another action with “uses” statement. But I am getting an error when I try to call this composite action from a workflow.- “Unexpected value ‘uses’”. Can’t we call another action from within a composite action? Couldn’t find it in documentation also.
Composite Actions can only be created using run steps. They are only designed to chain together multiple “run” steps. Creating a composite run steps action - GitHub Docs
This has been discussed multiple times on this forum, here is an incomplete list of relevant topics:
- Templates for GitHub Actions?
- Reusable component composite action python version
- reusing/sharing/inheriting steps between jobs declarations
- Support for YAML anchors
- Reuse Github Actions inside other Actions?
- Is it possible to reuse workflow yaml to setup similar workflows?
- Declaratively define GitHub actions
- Common steps for all workflows?
- Executing external GitHub action from shell or JS scripts
- Allow an action which groups other actions
Thank you. Unfortunately, the documentation doesn’t state what is supported & not supported. This is the reason for the confusion.
Are there any plans to support
use in composite actions? Without those, they’re just another way of writing a bash script
There is some ongoing work:
I haven’t seen anything about when we can expect this to become available, though.
Shocking amounts of code duplication because this isn’t a feature