The GitHub Packages service encountered an error

lerna http fetch PUT 500 101961ms attempt #3
lerna ERR! E500 The GitHub Packages service encountered an error.
##[error]Process completed with exit code 1.

How do I find out, what error this could be? Earlier the space used by my packages was full, but I removed all of them, so this shouldn’t be it. Where can we demand more insightful error messages then that?


@boredland ,

I have helped you report this ticket to the appropriate engineering team for further investigation and evaluation. If they have any progress, I will notify you in time, and sometimes the appropriate engineers may directly reply you here.

1 Like

There was an upstream Node.js problem at the exact same time that caused this error. Some more information here:

We also had users report similar 500s in our setup-node action

We’ve noted your feedback, and apologies for the rather vauge error messages. If you hit this problem again, please let us know!

Hey, we’re experiencing the same issue (lerna ERR! E500 The GitHub Packages service encountered an error) since yesterday and we don’t know where to investigate. By any chance do you know something that could help us ? :pray: thanks by advance for the help.


Hitting the exact same error since about 30.06.2021, 09:00 AM UTC.
Not using lerna in our case, but semantic-release. We’re als using scoped packages, if that makes any difference?
I’ve reached out to GitHub support for this as well.

Only thing I’ve found out so far is this blog post that kind of matches timing-wise (brown-out period starting June 30th 07-10 UTC): Token authentication requirements for Git operations | The GitHub Blog

Although I don’t see us using password-authentication, but access tokens already. Also, I’d expect a different error than a 500 in that case.

1 Like

Same also reported here: Github Packages returns 500 error when pushing new packages so definitely more people facing this as well

1 Like

Same reported here: Not able to publish to npm private repo

Meanwhile, I got a reply from GitHub support on that matter.
They suggested to remove old package versions as a workaround.

And indeed I got publishing working again after deleting all but the 30 latest package versions (using GitHub - SmartsquareGmbH/delete-old-packages: Github action for deleting old versions of packages in the Github package registry.).

We deleted around ~400 versions, it didn’t help.

btw deleted versions remain available under “Deleted” filter in the “Manage versions” page

Also getting this issue on an enterprise repo.