Fairly new developer here. I’m working on a project solo and have been trying to push my latest changes to the repo. I’m aware that as of Aug 13th you can no longer do this via a username and password and must now use a PAT.
I’ve followed the documentation and created a PAT with repo access. I will now describe exactly what happens when I try to push my changes using this token:
- I type git push origin master
- I’m prompted for username and password in the pop-up github login window. I click cancel
- I’m prompted for username in the command line, I enter it
- I’m prompted for password, I enter the PAT
- I receive the following: “remote: Support for password authentication was removed on August 13, 2021. Please use a personal access token instead.”
I’ve tried solutions mentioned on the forum including adding my username to the remote URL and regenerating my token.
I am 100% positive that I am entering the correct PAT but for some reason, it thinks I’m trying to utilize password access. Is there something I’m missing? Is there a step that isn’t documented or that I missed in setting this up?
I can’t seem to find this problem talked about elsewhere so I assume that I did something wrong but I’m at a loss to figure it out.