Hey Everyone - I am seeing something really weird and I am not sure if it’s my lack of understanding about Github PRs or if it’s a bug.
I created a repo as an example of what’s happening. https://github.com/austinbv/test-pr
I tried put links to the example repo in this post but it won’t let me as a new user. You can read the post here https://gist.github.com/austinbv/1c5dabb881bd0c039e738246eddd738e
The general workflow we are attempting:
- Developers work in a feature branch
- Developer pushes Feature branch and creates a PR from Feature branch into
- Feature branch gets merged into master
- After a while, we cut a release by creating a PR from
masteris merged into
- Rinse and repeat!
When we create merges into prod from master we always see merge conflicts, and ALL the commits that have happened on master since prod was created are applied.
Things that seem off:
- The PR shows too many commits being merged
- The PR Shows more changes than need to be applied
- The diff view on github shows the correct diff
- The create PR shows the incorrect diff
- All merges and rebases work as expected if I use
gitlocally to do it
I did notice returning to a repo a few days later the diffs and pr’s were mergable so it could be a cache issue.
Any opinions on what we are doing are welcome
EDIT: I have tried to put more links in the post but b/c I am a new user I cant