Hi, I’ve got two suggestions using team in organization, especially on Enterprise platform.
1. Cannot use one team for many organizations
Yeah, I understand the usual hierarchy.
Company \> Organization \> Team \> Member. I would say, why not? This is what’s happening.
My team is managing multiple organizations to categorize many projects. Currently, A team cannot be existent outside of the organization. Team only exists inside the organization. That means you cannot create and operate a team dealing with multiple organizations with same role and authority. For example, Let me try to draw a working scenario which cannot be natutally done:
* Company QQQSoft has a development team AAA. * Team AAA consists of Jack, Cindy, Kate. * Organizations: Money, Online, Offline * Money has 30, online has 50, Offline has 20 individual projects. * Every member of AAA is participating in development of: Money, Online, Offline
So what’s the solution for this situation right now? I did:
* Create a team "AAA" in Money, Online, Offline organization * Add member Jack, Cindy, Kate in @Money/AAA, @Online/AAA, @Offline/AAA * Click Click Click Click -> This is already so troublesome * Take a look at it * Think "What have I done"
Anticipated issues are:
* If a newbie Smith comes in to the party: Click Click Click "add member" in @Money/AAA, @Online/AAA, @Offline/AAA * If Cindy leaves the company: Click Click Click Cindy's checkbox from member list, click click click "remove from team" in @Money/AAA, @Online/AAA, @Offline/AAA * Oops, I forgot to remove Cindy in @Offline/AAA, my bad * Smith: "Jack, I didn't receive any notification from Money/web-api#432, could you please check?", Jack: "Oops I forgot to add you in @Money/AAA :P" * If Boss wants to be a loser and wants to break AAA: Click Click Click
2. Cannot request a review, or assign to the team
When you’re a member of the team and working on a certain project, you create a pull request what you’ve done, and naturally share it by requesting reivew to team members. Sometimes you assign a pull request to one if it’s needed.
It seems not currently possible to do such things for a team. A running project is managed not by a person, but a project team of which members have same concerns to the project. You may need to share the changes and get feedbacks to those who are related: usually it’s your team member, so you may request a review by clicking every single member of your team one by one, for almost every pull requests you create.
Any ideas, suggestions about these problems are welcomed.
p.s. markdown isn’t supported? oh my.