September came and went–and just like that, we’re off to Q2 here at GitHub. We’ve got lots of exciting things to look forward to in the next few months, but before we get ahead of ourselves, let’s pause and take a look back!
YouTube shorts and snacks: they’re between 30 seconds - 2 minutes each!
- GitHub Global Campus - GitHub Checkout
- How to enable GitHub Dark mode (and other secret modes) #Shorts
- Too many Issues? Pin them!
- Too many notifications? How to sort, filter, and organise GitHub Notifications #Shorts
- How to show ALL your commits on GitHub #Shorts
- How to add GIFs to your GitHub Profile README
- How to view raw markdown files and permalink to code snippets
- Set up Codespaces in 15 seconds!
- Connect with your community with GitHub Discussions
- How to quickly host a website using GitHub Pages #Shorts
- Set up your SSH security key in less than two minutes - GitHub Checkout
- Community AMA: Solving GitHub (New) User Challenges
- Introduction to GitHub
- Communicate effectively on GitHub by using Markdown
- Setting up (your dev environment) for success! #DemoDays
- Why are passwords useless? #DemoDays
Feature: The spotlight is on our very own @brianamarie, Sr. Manager of Content & Enablement! Read about her view on balancing shipping & quality, Maurice, the handsome pup, and her amazing upcycling!
Balance is not a final state
@brianamarie lives in Berlin, Germany with her husband Chris and their labrador Maurice. They’ve moved around a lot in the last 10 or so years, but are really happy to find themselves in Berlin. Even if the wind blows them to another city or country, they hope to return to Berlin, and think of it as home.
A very dapper Maurice
She’s been with GitHub for roughly 5 years now and currently manages the Content & Enablement team within Professional Services. They’re looking after guided and self-guided learning in the technical enablement space. (Think MS Learn and workshops–linked above!) Her number one favorite part of her job is the people she gets to work with. But, a close second is the necessity to be constantly learning. Briana is a very curious person and though the pace of change and growth can be overwhelming at times, she loves that she’s never bored.
On something that she’s learned from the job, Briana says:
“Every person, every team, every customer has a different relationship to balancing shipping and quality. Balance is not a final state, but an active verb that requires lots of care and attention. When creating something, whether it’s a product, a portion of code, or training content, pay attention to the unspoken balance of quality and shipping that is driving decision making. Not everyone has the same assumptions about what’s the most important thing at any given time.”
But the learning doesn’t end there, like many people, she’s been really getting into plants and gardening. She loves walking Maurice through Tiergarten, riding her bike around Berlin, and making baskets out of recycled textiles (clothes that aren’t in good enough shape to donate). Oh - and of course playing piano and ukulele to cover songs and even write her own! As much as @brianamarie loves technology, she really treasures the time she gets away from screens, too.
@brianamarie’s first awesome upcycled basket, which you can also learn to make here!
Hot Off the (Product) Press
- Introducing GitHub Global Campus and the MLH Fellowship: GitHub Externship Track!
- Increasing developer happiness with GitHub code scanning
- GitHub Enterprise Server 3.2 brings new color modes and added security capabilities!
- Announcing recipients of the GitHub Open Source Grants and GitHub Sponsors now open in India
- The ReadME Project: A look back at the community stories that shape us
- Audit log streaming is now in public beta
- Announcing npm’s new access token format
- GitHub Enterprise Server 3.2 is now generally available
Thank you for reading our Monthly Roundup! Special thank you to @brianamarie for sharing a bit about her with us! If you’d like to be featured or have any ideas on how we can improve, please let us know below.