index.html not working

I have the impression this is a workaround but not a solution. If you access your site via github.com, you want the content of readme.md displayed, so people know, what this project is about. If people access your website via github.io, you want the content of index.html displayed. I was under the impression, that the right way to do this, is to exclude README.md from your website by including in your _config.yml:

exclude:

    - README.md

Now the problems seems to be, that this is not always working as it should.

4 Likes

FWIW, for those (other) newbs out there, I found that if you have an existing repo, what they don’t mention in the GH Pages tutorial, is you just need to to go to settings in the repo, then scroll down to the Github Pages section, and then set the (master) branch (this is disabled by default), and save it.

This should create a page you can then goto in the browser. 

 EDIT: theme is optional - I left it off. 

See photos for visual guide. 

8 Likes

thanks this worked great!

Thanks! This solved my problem! 

Thanks for the tip with the permalink.  It worked right away.

I had the same problem and it was because I had an empty line before<!doctype html> in my index.html

2 Likes

Thanks Louvivien! That was my issue as well–never would have solved it without your tip.

1 Like

I just had this exact same problem, but AFTER it was working

It happened because I had to reset the gh-pages branch. So I

  1. git branch -D gh-pages
  2. git push -d origin gh-pages

Then I had a script create an orphan branch gh-pages, populate it, and push it. Before this, everything worked without /index.html, but after, I had to add /index.html. I must have triggered a bug by accident.

The fix was was go into the settings and change the GitHub Pages Source branch to master, then back to gh-pages. This toggle was able to get around the bugged state I found myself in and everything is good again.

1 Like

Good afternoon! Well managed with HTML-document, please help with the plugin Web craft ic is clearly a problem, when I updated WordPress to 5.3 it became buggy and show on the site abru kadabru had to disable it, can tell me where to register in HTML? Here’s how the site works when the plugin is enabled:

ошибка в плагине.jpg

and so the site works when disabled: k-chemu-snitza.ru

Hope that many isprovlyat in HTML nah so as I only am learning.

This is not related to GitHub pages.

Wordpress is not assosiated with GitHub pages or GitHub in any way, except for being open source.

@povezlotut wrote:

Good afternoon! Well managed with HTML-document, please help with the plugin Web craft ic is clearly a problem, when I updated WordPress to 5.3 it became buggy and show on the site abru kadabru had to disable it, can tell me where to register in HTML? Here’s how the site works when the plugin is enabled:

ошибка в плагине.jpg

and so the site works when disabled: k-chemu-snitza.ru

Hope that many isprovlyat in HTML nah so as I only am learning.

suffering from same problem how do i restructured the setups ?

Hello,

Had the same error.

Solved by adding language property to html tag:

<html lang=“en”>

Or maybe because it just created another build?

1 Like
  • Create a file named “_config.yml” with “theme: none” written inside of it (all without quotes) into the home/main directory where your “index.html” file is placed.

Github Pages is searching for a configuration file for theme (if required) which is what probably does not exist in your case. Try this method, it should work.

4 Likes

Same thing fixed it for me :-/

@bhenchod1221 wrote:


@povezlotut wrote:

Good afternoon! Well managed with HTML-document, please help with the plugin Web craft ic is clearly a problem, when I updated WordPress to 5.3 it became buggy and show on the site abru kadabru had to disable it, can tell me where to register in HTML? Here’s how the site works when the plugin is enabled:

ошибка в плагине.jpg

and so the site works when disabled: k-chemu-snitza.ru

Hope that many isprovlyat in HTML nah so as I only am learning.


 

suffering from same problem how do i restructured the setups ?

Plugin Web craft ic is clearly a problem

@bhenchod1221 wrote:


@povezlotut wrote:

Good afternoon! Well managed with HTML-document, please help with the plugin Web craft ic is clearly a problem, when I updated WordPress to 5.3 it became buggy and show on the site abru kadabru had to disable it, can tell me where to register in HTML? Here’s how the site works when the plugin is enabled:

ошибка в плагине.jpg

and so the site works when disabled: k-chemu-snitza.ru

Hope that many isprovlyat in HTML nah so as I only am learning.


 

suffering from same problem how do i restructured the setups ?

 If you access your site via github.com, you want the content of readme.md displayed, so people know, what this project is about. If people access your website via github.io, you want the content of index.html displayed. I was under the impression, that the right way to do this, is to exclude README.md from your website by including in your _config.yml:

your github project name does not contain .github.io at the end. It should be nicksworld.github.io/Codes-js-demo.github.io/

Your question is highly confusing. Did you mean your website is opening index.html page on loading? or did you mean it is not loading index.html page. I will try to answer but you need to provide more information. If you type the link and index.html is opening than it is working correct because it will always open index file as homepage unless you have specified something else. secondly make sure you have uploaded all the files in correct folder because it is usual that when a user is inexperienced ftp could be confusing. So check it and add more details if possible.

@ahmedazhar05 wrote:

  • Create a file named “_config.yml” with “theme: none” written inside of it (all without quotes) into the home/main directory where your “index.html” file is placed.

 

Github Pages is searching for a configuration file for theme (if required) which is what probably does not exist in your case. Try this method, it should work.

I have the impression this is a workaround but not a solution. If you access your site via github.com, you want the content of readme.md displayed, so people know, what this project is about. If people access your website via github.io, you want the content of index.html displayed. I was under the impression, that the right way to do this, is to exclude README.md from your website by including in your _config.yml:

exclude:

    - README.md

Now the problems seems to be, that this is not always working as it should.

@bhenchod1221 wrote:


@ahmedazhar05 wrote:

  • Create a file named “_config.yml” with “theme: none” written inside of it (all without quotes) into the home/main directory where your “index.html” file is placed.

 

Github Pages is searching for a configuration file for theme (if required) which is what probably does not exist in your case. Try this method, it should work.


 

I have the impression this is a workaround but not a solution. If you access your site via github.com, you want the content of readme.md displayed, so people know, what this project is about. If people access your website via github.io, you want the content of index.html displayed. I was under the impression, that the right way to do this, is to exclude README.md from your website by including in your _config.yml:

exclude:

    - README.md

Now the problems seems to be, that this is not always working as it should.

Had the same error.

Solved by adding language property to html tag:

<html lang=“en”>

Or maybe because it just created another build?