Github Actions PRs workflows slow builds

Hi there!

I am developing React web application with firebase as a backend. I am using Github Actions as a CI. Today I faced with the problem with slow builds. 4 days ago my PR build took 2m 35s. And now it takes around hour and 20 minutes!

I checked logs and found out that frontend tests took the most time of the build. Does Github Actions have any limits for the period of time? Where can I check the limits for my project? If there are no any limits in Github Actions… Then what might be the problem of this slow builds? And how can I fix it?

I attaches logs here (Can’t attach them in a separate file, sorry :frowning:).
The build on the 12 of November 2020:

Install phase

> galileo@2.1.5 preinstall /home/runner/work/galileo-calisto/galileo-calisto
> npm run npmcheckversion


> galileo@2.1.5 npmcheckversion /home/runner/work/galileo-calisto/galileo-calisto
> node ./internals/scripts/npmcheckversion.js


> fsevents@1.2.13 install /home/runner/work/galileo-calisto/galileo-calisto/node_modules/@babel/cli/node_modules/fsevents
> node install.js


Skipping 'fsevents' build as platform linux is not supported

> protobufjs@6.10.1 postinstall /home/runner/work/galileo-calisto/galileo-calisto/node_modules/protobufjs
> node scripts/postinstall


> re2@1.15.4 install /home/runner/work/galileo-calisto/galileo-calisto/node_modules/re2
> install-from-cache --artifact build/Release/re2.node --host-var RE2_DOWNLOAD_MIRROR

Trying https://github.com/uhop/node-re2/releases/download/1.15.4/linux-x64-83.br ...
Writing to build/Release/re2.node ...
Done.

> core-js@3.6.5 postinstall /home/runner/work/galileo-calisto/galileo-calisto/node_modules/@firebase/polyfill/node_modules/core-js
> node -e "try{require('./postinstall')}catch(e){}"


> core-js@2.6.11 postinstall /home/runner/work/galileo-calisto/galileo-calisto/node_modules/core-js
> node -e "try{require('./postinstall')}catch(e){}"


> fsevents@1.2.13 install /home/runner/work/galileo-calisto/galileo-calisto/node_modules/watchpack-chokidar2/node_modules/fsevents
> node install.js


Skipping 'fsevents' build as platform linux is not supported

> spawn-sync@1.0.15 postinstall /home/runner/work/galileo-calisto/galileo-calisto/node_modules/spawn-sync
> node postinstall


> pre-commit@1.2.2 install /home/runner/work/galileo-calisto/galileo-calisto/node_modules/pre-commit
> node install.js


> ngrok@3.1.1 postinstall /home/runner/work/galileo-calisto/galileo-calisto/node_modules/ngrok
PASS app/containers/Tuition/tests/reducer.test.js
PASS app/containers/StudentApplication/tests/actions.test.js
PASS app/containers/LanguageProvider/tests/actions.test.js
PASS app/containers/Tuition/tests/actions.test.js
PASS app/containers/Dashboard/tests/saga.test.js
PASS app/containers/App/tests/saga.test.js
PASS app/containers/StudentAdd/tests/saga.test.js
PASS app/containers/TeacherApplication/tests/selectors.test.js
PASS app/containers/LanguageProvider/tests/selectors.test.js
PASS app/containers/Dashboard/tests/selectors.test.js
PASS app/containers/StudentApplication/tests/selectors.test.js
PASS app/containers/StudentAdd/tests/selectors.test.js

Test Suites: 15 skipped, 142 passed, 142 of 157 total
Tests:       102 skipped, 299 passed, 401 total
Snapshots:   29 passed, 29 total
Time:        28.89s
Ran all test suites.
Test complete
Uploading test results to codecov

  _____          _
 / ____|        | |
| |     ___   __| | ___  ___ _____   __
| |    / _ \ / _` |/ _ \/ __/ _ \ \ / /
| |___| (_) | (_| |  __/ (_| (_) \ V /
 \_____\___/ \__,_|\___|\___\___/ \_/
                              Bash-20201106-81372f2


==> GitHub Actions detected.
    project root: .
--> token set from env
    Yaml not found, that's ok! Learn more at http://docs.codecov.io/docs/codecov-yaml
    -> Found 1 reports
==> Detecting git/mercurial file structure
==> Reading reports
    + functions/coverage/coverage-final.json bytes=45522
==> Appending adjustments
    https://docs.codecov.io/docs/fixing-reports
    + Found adjustments
==> Gzipping contents
==> Uploading reports
    url: https://codecov.io
    query: branch=issue%2F%23456&commit=4380515fb631ccf995335dbd6c4db0409ef9175b&build=359532558&build_url=http%3A%2F%2Fgithub.com%2Fgalileoxp%2Fgalileo-calisto%2Factions%2Fruns%2F359532558&name=&tag=&slug=galileoxp%2Fgalileo-calisto&service=github-actions&flags=&pr=464&job=&cmd_args=f
->  Pinging Codecov
https://codecov.io/upload/v4?package=bash-20201106-81372f2&token=secret&branch=issue%2F%23456&commit=4380515fb631ccf995335dbd6c4db0409ef9175b&build=359532558&build_url=http%3A%2F%2Fgithub.com%2Fgalileoxp%2Fgalileo-calisto%2Factions%2Fruns%2F359532558&name=&tag=&slug=galileoxp%2Fgalileo-calisto&service=github-actions&flags=&pr=464&job=&cmd_args=f
->  Uploading to
https://storage.googleapis.com/codecov/v4/raw/2020-11-12/15726050E4EF6F17BE550E298B00B0B9/0ccc9ff156c043ecbb1dc0de98a95730351e80d2/61003c5d-7642-4f41-ac6c-ecda59de8239.txt?X-Amz-Algorithm=AWS4-HMAC-SHA256&X-Amz-Credential=GOOG1EQX6OZVJGHKK3633AAFGLBUCOOATRACRQRQF6HMSMLYUP6EAD6XSWAAY%2F20201112%2FUS%2Fs3%2Faws4_request&X-Amz-Date=20201112T111905Z&X-Amz-Expires=10&X-Amz-SignedHeaders=host&X-Amz-Signature=a2287f6582b4024df971cc08b6093a912ee8d808d608267c15dcf46b5f7b2d5a
  % Total    % Received % Xferd  Average Speed   Time    Time     Time  Current
                                 Dload  Upload   Total   Spent    Left  Speed

  0     0    0     0    0     0      0      0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:--     0
100 15678    0     0  100 15678      0  85672 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:-- 85206
100 15678    0     0  100 15678      0  85672 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:-- 85206

Todays build:

Install phase

> galileo@2.2.3 preinstall /home/runner/work/galileo-calisto/galileo-calisto
> npm run npmcheckversion


> galileo@2.2.3 npmcheckversion /home/runner/work/galileo-calisto/galileo-calisto
> node ./internals/scripts/npmcheckversion.js


> fsevents@1.2.13 install /home/runner/work/galileo-calisto/galileo-calisto/node_modules/@babel/cli/node_modules/fsevents
> node install.js


Skipping 'fsevents' build as platform linux is not supported

> protobufjs@6.10.1 postinstall /home/runner/work/galileo-calisto/galileo-calisto/node_modules/protobufjs
> node scripts/postinstall


> re2@1.15.4 install /home/runner/work/galileo-calisto/galileo-calisto/node_modules/re2
> install-from-cache --artifact build/Release/re2.node --host-var RE2_DOWNLOAD_MIRROR

Trying https://github.com/uhop/node-re2/releases/download/1.15.4/linux-x64-83.br ...
Writing to build/Release/re2.node ...
Done.

> core-js@3.6.5 postinstall /home/runner/work/galileo-calisto/galileo-calisto/node_modules/@firebase/polyfill/node_modules/core-js
> node -e "try{require('./postinstall')}catch(e){}"


> core-js@2.6.11 postinstall /home/runner/work/galileo-calisto/galileo-calisto/node_modules/core-js
> node -e "try{require('./postinstall')}catch(e){}"


> fsevents@1.2.13 install /home/runner/work/galileo-calisto/galileo-calisto/node_modules/watchpack-chokidar2/node_modules/fsevents
> node install.js


Skipping 'fsevents' build as platform linux is not supported

> spawn-sync@1.0.15 postinstall /home/runner/work/galileo-calisto/galileo-calisto/node_modules/spawn-sync
> node postinstall


> pre-commit@1.2.2 install /home/runner/work/galileo-calisto/galileo-calisto/node_modules/pre-commit
> node install.js


> ngrok@3.1.1 postinstall /home/runner/work/galileo-calisto/galileo-calisto/node_modules/ngrok
PASS app/containers/LanguageProvider/tests/reducer.test.js (13.188s)
PASS app/containers/Tuition/tests/reducer.test.js (12.832s)
PASS app/containers/StudentApplication/tests/actions.test.js (13.701s)
PASS app/containers/LanguageProvider/tests/actions.test.js (13.776s)
PASS app/containers/Tuition/tests/actions.test.js (13.431s)
PASS app/containers/Dashboard/tests/saga.test.js (15.226s)
PASS app/containers/App/tests/saga.test.js (15.025s)
PASS app/containers/StudentAdd/tests/saga.test.js (13.918s)
PASS app/containers/TeacherApplication/tests/selectors.test.js (13.246s)
PASS app/containers/LanguageProvider/tests/selectors.test.js (14.312s)
PASS app/containers/Dashboard/tests/selectors.test.js (14.573s)
PASS app/containers/StudentApplication/tests/selectors.test.js (14.221s)
PASS app/containers/StudentAdd/tests/selectors.test.js (14.291s)

Test Suites: 15 skipped, 142 passed, 142 of 157 total
Tests:       102 skipped, 299 passed, 401 total
Snapshots:   29 passed, 29 total
Time:        4773.179s
Ran all test suites.
Test complete
Uploading test results to codecov

  _____          _
 / ____|        | |
| |     ___   __| | ___  ___ _____   __
| |    / _ \ / _` |/ _ \/ __/ _ \ \ / /
| |___| (_) | (_| |  __/ (_| (_) \ V /
 \_____\___/ \__,_|\___|\___\___/ \_/
                              Bash-20201116-eea08d9


==> GitHub Actions detected.
    project root: .
--> token set from env
    Yaml not found, that's ok! Learn more at http://docs.codecov.io/docs/codecov-yaml
    -> Found 1 reports
==> Detecting git/mercurial file structure
==> Reading reports
    + functions/coverage/coverage-final.json bytes=45522
==> Appending adjustments
    https://docs.codecov.io/docs/fixing-reports
    + Found adjustments
==> Gzipping contents
==> Uploading reports
    url: https://codecov.io
    query: branch=issue%2Ftest&commit=3c0d020af99626d4dc6bb32f5da71c04d12130d7&build=366447878&build_url=http%3A%2F%2Fgithub.com%2Fgalileoxp%2Fgalileo-calisto%2Factions%2Fruns%2F366447878&name=&tag=&slug=galileoxp%2Fgalileo-calisto&service=github-actions&flags=&pr=480&job=&cmd_args=f
->  Pinging Codecov
https://codecov.io/upload/v4?package=bash-20201116-eea08d9&token=secret&branch=issue%2Ftest&commit=3c0d020af99626d4dc6bb32f5da71c04d12130d7&build=366447878&build_url=http%3A%2F%2Fgithub.com%2Fgalileoxp%2Fgalileo-calisto%2Factions%2Fruns%2F366447878&name=&tag=&slug=galileoxp%2Fgalileo-calisto&service=github-actions&flags=&pr=480&job=&cmd_args=f
->  Uploading to
https://storage.googleapis.com/codecov/v4/raw/2020-11-16/15726050E4EF6F17BE550E298B00B0B9/819e01ebbe6eb85e040705ca6369a6cb8b0c6e6e/d5c3cdfc-2ef7-4fb9-a3cd-0ce5c84ef03a.txt?X-Amz-Algorithm=AWS4-HMAC-SHA256&X-Amz-Credential=GOOG1EQX6OZVJGHKK3633AAFGLBUCOOATRACRQRQF6HMSMLYUP6EAD6XSWAAY%2F20201116%2FUS%2Fs3%2Faws4_request&X-Amz-Date=20201116T182130Z&X-Amz-Expires=10&X-Amz-SignedHeaders=host&X-Amz-Signature=f78907cdba24d8643dd73bd1f1fd84f0e15ca2bd52be1c0675247e527540bab6
  % Total    % Received % Xferd  Average Speed   Time    Time     Time  Current
                                 Dload  Upload   Total   Spent    Left  Speed

  0     0    0     0    0     0      0      0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:--     0
100 15688    0     0  100 15688      0  86674 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:-- 86674
    -> View reports at https://codecov.io/github/galileoxp/galileo-calisto/commit/819e01ebbe6eb85e040705ca6369a6cb8b0c6e6e
Upload complete

JEST frontend results for the build on the 12 of November 2020:

2020-11-12T11:19:02.5003886Z 
2020-11-12T11:19:02.5008927Z Test Suites: 15 skipped, 142 passed, 142 of 157 total
2020-11-12T11:19:02.5009547Z Tests:       102 skipped, 299 passed, 401 total
2020-11-12T11:19:02.5010123Z Snapshots:   29 passed, 29 total
2020-11-12T11:19:02.5010613Z Time:        28.89s
2020-11-12T11:19:02.5011063Z Ran all test suites.
2020-11-12T11:19:02.5783949Z Test complete
2020-11-12T11:19:02.5784692Z Uploading test results to codecov

JEST frontend results for the build on the 16 of November:

2020-11-16T18:21:25.8565412Z 
2020-11-16T18:21:25.8572256Z Test Suites: 15 skipped, 142 passed, 142 of 157 total
2020-11-16T18:21:25.8576303Z Tests:       102 skipped, 299 passed, 401 total
2020-11-16T18:21:25.8577448Z Snapshots:   29 passed, 29 total
2020-11-16T18:21:25.8578306Z Time:        4773.179s
2020-11-16T18:21:25.8579092Z Ran all test suites.
2020-11-16T18:21:26.0118033Z Test complete
2020-11-16T18:21:26.0119021Z Uploading test results to codecov