Bug in parsing org-mode

Github’s org parser has a bug where they mistakenly show

#+begin_src bsh.dash :results verbatim :exports both
echo | time possiblycat 1000
#+end_src

#+RESULTS:
:
: possiblycat 1000  0.00s user 0.00s system 75% cpu 0.006 total; max RSS 1852

as

Hey @nightmachinary :wave:

Sincerest apologies for the delay in response, here! This actually is something that we’ve been aware of internally. Though from what you’ve shared, I’m not sure if what we’ve documented internally matches.

So it’s possible we need to update our internal issue with some more detail. But I would venture a guess that the : is the source of the problem.

I’m going to reach out to the team for more feedback and would love to verify with you that this is ongoing. Thanks!

1 Like

would love to verify with you that this is ongoing.

I have created a test repo that has this snippet in its readme: https://github.com/NightMachinary/TEMP_T1/tree/master . It’s still ongoing as of now.

Thank you so much for your quick response! I’ve got the question out in our internal issue and will come back to relay anything relevant.

Thank you again :bow:

Hey again @nightmachinary :wave:

Feedback from our dev team after reproducing this behavior:

Spaces are generated by the same issue of having spaces at the end or before the start of the block. So you should be able to fix this by removing erroneous whitespace.

Let us know how you go!

I am not sure if I understand; Are you saying your dev team thinks there are no bugs, or are you suggesting a workaround for the bug? (I already knew a workaround: (setq org-babel-min-lines-for-block-output 0))

We have it listed as an open issue, but it’s not quite a bug. It’s the whitespace before/after code block declarations, creating the erroneous characters. You should not have to apply setq org-babel-min-lines-for-block-output 0 but simply remove whitespace to avoid the behavior you see.

The whitespace is auto-generated by org-babel in Emacs. .org files are like Jupyter notebooks. The output cannot be manually edited since the next generation will just overwrite the edits.

Thanks for the further clarification. Let me see about reproducing and I’ll touch base with our dev team again.

@nightmachinary thank you again for raising this issue!

I’ve updated our dev team (again) after verifying behavior. I can’t provide any kind of ETA on work towards resolving the behavior you’re getting but I am pleased to know you’ve found a workaround already yourself in using setq org-babel-min-lines-for-block-output 0.

Thank you again!